ads

Your Ad Here

Link Refferal.

cricket world. news , udates , wallpapers , videos , pics , shedule , ipl , t20 , odi , test matches , etc

Ban to blame for Yousuf retirement


Former captain Mohammad Yousuf has announced his retirement from international cricket in protest at a ban imposed on him by the Pakistan Cricket Board.

On the recommendation of an inquiry committee set up to probe reasons for Pakistan's woeful performances against Australia earlier this year, Yousuf was banned from all international cricket for an indefinite period.

Pakistan had lost all nine international matches on their tour of Australia and Yousuf had led the team in seven of them, including three Tests.

The inquiry committee had found Yousuf guilty of being involved in infighting during the tour and of indiscipline.

But Yousuf has refuted those charges.

"I have received a letter from the PCB suggesting that my presence in the team is harmful and so I announce my retirement from international cricket," said Yousuf.

"I thank fans around the world, all the senior players and family members for supporting me throughout my 12-year career.

"I have always played for my country and if my playing is harmful for the team then I don't want to play."

A prolific middle-order batsman, Yousuf has, however, been a controversial figure and has already announced his retirement from international cricket twice before.

In 2007 he joined the unauthorised Indian Cricket League after being overlooked for the inaugural World Twenty20 in South Africa.

He was automatically banned by the PCB, but returned to mainstream cricket only to head back to the ICL fold shortly afterwards.

He returned to the international arena again last year and was handed the captaincy for a Test series in New Zealand and the subsequent tour of Australia after Younus Khan stepped down following defeat in a one-day series to New Zealand in Abu Dhabi.

The 35-year-old Yousuf, a veteran of 88 Tests and 282 one-day internationals, was also involved in a stinging verbal duel with another former captain Shoaib Malik - much of it played out on national television.

Yousuf blamed Malik for disrupting harmony in the dressing room.

Yousuf, a Roman Catholic who converted to Islam, was also accused by team manager Abdul Raquib of being involved in a brawl with coach Intikhab Alam following the fifth ODI against Australia.

"I am still baffled by the decision of the PCB and I have nothing more to say in my defence for what is a seemingly illogical decision by the board," said Yousuf.

"As it stands, I am retiring from all forms of international cricket. That is final.

"As far as appealing against the indefinite ban imposed upon me by the board, I will decide on it in the coming days."

0 comments

Posted in

Post a Comment