ads

Your Ad Here

Link Refferal.

cricket world. news , udates , wallpapers , videos , pics , shedule , ipl , t20 , odi , test matches , etc

Arthur to coach Western Australia







(CRICKET WORLD)





Former South Africa coach Mickey Arthur has been handed a three-year deal to take charge of Western Australia.

The 41-year old, who enjoyed a successful five-year stint with the Proteas, succeeds Tom Moody who announced in February that he would not seek re-appointment to the role.

Named head coach of South Africa in 2005, Arthur helped lift the side from third (Tests) and sixth (one-day) in the rankings to number one in both forms in 2009.

"I stated when I announced my resignation from the South African post that I would only return to coaching if the ideal challenge presented itself and I have found that challenge with the Warriors," Arthur said.

"Western Australia is a fiercely proud cricketing state and I am determined to do all that I can to help the Warriors return to the top of Australian cricket.

"I have gained a great deal of experience from coaching at provincial and international level in the past decade and I firmly believe that it will prove to be a great asset for this new position."

Arthur's appointment was warmly welcomed by Warriors skipper Marcus North.

"I haven't spoken to any of the other players, but I'm sure they'll be as excited as I am," said North on his return to Perth from the Australia tour of New Zealand.

"A guy like that of his quality and what he's shown, certainly at Test level and one-day international level with South Africa, has been second to none, so I think it's fantastic.

"To get a world class coach to come to Perth to try and turn us around is pretty exciting.

"If we can play a similar brand to what the South Africans have played over his time as coach, it can only be an exciting and encouraging time for WA cricket."

WACA chief executive Graeme Wood said Arthur was selected after a thorough process from a field of outstanding candidates understood to have included Bushrangers assistant coach Simon Helmot.

"Mickey's track record of success at domestic and international level speaks for itself, but his passion and drive to help the Warriors get back to the top of Australian cricket was clearly evident in all of our dealings with him," Wood said.

"Mickey has secured this position from a high quality field of applicants."

Wood said the WACA would be looking to fill the assistant coaching vacancy in the coming weeks.

0 comments

Posted in

Post a Comment